ME6103 - History of Indian Buddhism
Note: Due to Patimokkha Recitation, the following classes have been changed from afternoon to morning 8:30 am - 11 am
The course gives a comprehensive coverage of Indian Buddhism from its origin to the decline and disappearance of Buddhism in India, with focus on the Nikāya Buddhism, the rising of Mahāyāna and its significance in the development of Chinese Buddhism.
- Akira, Hirakawa. A History of Indian Buddhism: From Sakyamuni to Early Mahayana. Trans. Paul Groner. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1990.
(please log in to download the book)
- Lamotte, Etienne. History of Indian Buddhism. Trans. Sara Webb-Boin. Paris: Peeters Press, 1988.
- Lama Chimpa and Alaka Chattopadhyaya. Tāranātha’s History of Buddhism in India. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1990.
- Nakamura, Hajime. Indian Buddhism: A survey with Bibliographical Notes. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1987.
- Brancaccio, Pia, and Kurt Behrendt, ed. Gandhāran Buddhism: Archaeology, Art, Texts. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2006.
- Heirman, Ann, and Stephan Peter Bumbacher, ed. The Spread of Buddhism. Beiden: Brill, 2007.
- "Origin and Doctrine of Early Indian Buddhist Schools – A Translation of the Hsüan-Chwang Version of Vasumitra's Treatise". Trans. Masuda, Jiryo. Asia Major vol.2 (1925).
Buddha's Inida (Map), web, Aug 12, 2017 <http://obo.genaud.net/backmatter/appendixes/buddhas_india>/buddhas_india...