CB401 - School of Chinese Buddhism I: Pure Land School
Dr. Fa Qing
The course will examine the socio-cultural circumstances that led to the rise and popularity of the Pure Land School (Jìngtǔzōng or Jōdokyō), both in China and Japan and its basic teachings. The course will focus specially on the religious and philosophical significance of the prayer to the Amida Buddha so essential in Pure Land pietism. The division of the school into Jodo and Jodoshin after its introduction to Japan will also be considered.
02 Lecture 2 (Dec, 12)
We will meet at Library Meeting Room (upstairs).
You will have five minutes to present the Roots of Pure Land next time we meet.
Please read the first chapter A GENERAL SURVEY of Mochizuki's the Pure Land Buddhism in China.
If you have time, you can read the second chapter on the The P’an-shou san-mei ching, the Pratyutpanna samadhi sutra.
Mochizuki, Shinko. "Pure Land Buddhism in China: A Doctrinal History” Translated by Leo Pruden. Pacific World: Journal of the Institute of Buddhist Studies. download the e-Book.
03 Lecture 3 (Dec, 19)
We will discuss on the chapter of General Survey of Pure Land.
1. the the introduction of Pratyutpanna and Surangama Samadhi Sutras,1998,BDK25.
2. the first chapter of Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra. (pratyutpanna_Lokakseme_One-fascicle-T13, No. 417.pdf)
The above two files can be downloaded here.
04 (Dec, 26)
I will be away PTC campus for one week.
You will submit (email) me one paragraph report on Pratyutpanna Sutra based on the following:
1. Paul Harrison's Introduction (http://elibrary.ibc.ac.th/korat/files/private/Pratyutpanna_and_Surangama...)
2. the first chapter of Pratyutpanna.
3. The second chapter on the The P’an-shou san-mei ching, the Pratyutpanna samadhi sutra of Shinko Mochizuki's "Pure Land Buddhism in China: A Doctrinal History”
Jan, 2, New Year Break
05 (Jan, 9)
The third chapter on HUI-YUAN OF MT. LU of Shinko Mochizuki's "Pure Land Buddhism in China: A Doctrinal History”
We will meet at 5 p.m. to discuss:
Hui Yuan's contribution to Pure Land
The course will be ended by the end of Jan, 2013. The last lecture will be on the Jan 30th. We will have 8 seminars together.
- Pacific World Journal (Most articles related to Pure Land Study)